This company has no active tenders
- Total Tenders 0 Tenders
- Address Windhoek
At independence Namibia inherited the fuel levy system that was applicable in the country shortly before independence, however, the appointment of a Road Safety Council in an independent Namibia was for unknown reasons delayed until 1996 when the first Council was appointed under the chairmanship of the current Judge President, Petrus Damaseb deputised by the late Mrs. Maritjie Potas. In 1992 South Africa transferred about R500, 000.00 as Namibia’s portion of the accumulated fuel levy collected up until 21 March 1990. This amount served to capitalise the Central Road Safety Fund that was initially administered by a committee under the Namibian Police.
The ultimate objective of the NRSC is to promote road safety in the Republic. To this end the NRSC is empowered to:
- Carryout research in relation to road safety
- Collection and dissemination of road safety information
- Provide road safety guidance through seminars, congresses or any other means deemed fit by Council
- Assist the Minister in coordinating accident and injury prevention measures
- At the request of the Minister, enquire into any mater falling within the ambit of the Act, and report thereon.
- Perform any other task falling within the objectives of the Act
- Make recommendations to the Minister on road safety.
P. O. Box 113
Tel: +264 (0) 61 231 717
Fax: +264 (0) 61 239 745